Managing and Marketing our Destination: Food for Thought
Join fellow industry professionals for a day of information, inspiration and enlightenment at the 3rd annual Destination Marketing Summit on Monday, October 3, at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center.
Visit Buffalo Niagara and the New York State Restaurant Association, Western New York Chapter have put together a full day of educational presentations that include current trends, tips, tools, and best practice examples that you can take home and put to work right away!
This year, we are offering a full day of presentations and breakout sessions. The morning targets the food industry; afternoon is marketing. The cost to attend a half-day session is $25 if you reserve your spot before September 23. After that, it’s $35. The full day is $50 early bird; $70 thereafter. Each session includes meal (breakfast, lunch and break).
Restaurant professionals will appreciate the morning keynote presentation given by David Scott Peters, restaurant expert, speaker, coach and trainer for independent restaurant owners (TheRestaurantExpert.com/workshops) and developer of SMART Systems Pro, an online restaurant management software program. His presentation, Secrets to Holding Your Management Team Accountable, promises to teach managers and business owners alike:
- why company culture plays such an important role in getting things done;
- how to clearly define expectations for a management team;
- the two-step process for getting rid of “commonsense-it-is”
- the recipe for effective delegation and why what you’ve been doing doesn’t always work
Morning breakout sessions:
- How online reviews can help drive more business: A rundown of Yelp’s free business tools and best practices to attract more customers – Alex Levine, Buffalo Community Director for YELP.
- Wage and Hour Update for Hospitality Industry Employers: Avoiding common pitfalls concerning meal periods, hours worked and tipped employees; understanding the US Department of Labor’s Final Rule regarding overtime exemptions – Mark Moldenhauer, Attorney, Bond Schoeneck and King Attorneys.
- Systems to Control Your Food Cost and Explode Your Profit – David Scott Peters.
- Media 101 – Brian Hayden, Communications Manager, Visit Buffalo Niagara
We’ll break for lunch and return ready for Gonzo Marketing in A Digital Age by our second keynote speaker, Tom Martin. Tom is an internationally recognized speaker, active blogger at HelpMyBrand.com and a regular contributor to Ad Age’s Small Agency Diary. He founded Converse Digital in 2010 after a 20 year career in advertising and his first book, The Invisible Sale, is available everywhere books are sold.
From the guy that successfully rebranded Mardi Gras as family friendly fun, comes Gonzo Marketing. This isn’t your father’s keynote… it’s a fast paced, energetic and engaging journey of discovery powered by real world examples that will show you how you can to leverage immersive journalism techniques, virtualism and the science of propinquity to enhance Buffalo’s brand perception, achieve Top of Mind Preference among your key target audiences and grow visitation to Buffalo.
Choice of afternoon breakout sessions:
- Reputation Management – Mark Preston, Northeast Sales Manager, Destination Marketing at Trip Advisor
- Does Your Website Need an Update? – 19 Ideas Marketing & Communications Agency
- Understanding your Power in Responding to Online Reviews – Diana Principe, Partner, Hotel Henry & The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
- Social Media Advanced – Drew Brown, Visit Buffalo Niagara Marketing Coordinator
- Create the Perfect Hospitality Team that is Focused on Driving Sales, Guest Service – Darren Dennington,CFBE, Service with Style.
To Register for the Summit Click Here